With more than 1,700 cross-referenced entries covering every aspect of World War II, the events and developments of the era, and myriad related subjects as well as a documents volume, this is the most comprehensive reference work available on the war.
• Provides a clear understanding of the causes of World War II, reaching back to World War I and the role of the Western democracies in its origin
• Examines home front developments in major countries during the war, such as race and gender relations in the United States
• Recognizes the important roles played by women in the war and describes how the United States mobilized its economy and citizenry for total war
• Discusses the Holocaust and establishes responsibility for this genocide
• Details the changing attitudes toward the war as expressed in film and literature